Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Inside Real Homes: Nate (Part 2)


Yesterday I posted Part 1 of Nate's home featuring his open concept living and dining room. 
The next space I tackled was the kitchen area that included a large space he wanted to turn into a study area. His kitchen already had great features with upgraded maple cabinets, dark granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. The overall look of the kitchen before I even touched it was already a masculine one. Since the kitchen and study area are only separated from the living/dining room by a half wall it was important to continue the feel from that space into this space.

Welcome to
Nate's House
{The Kitchen}
 
Nate already had the eat-in kitchen table and chairs which were a dark espresso wood with clean lines. I found bar stools that had the same color and same clean lines to add to the bar area. And I added the same espresso curtains with stainless steel rods that we used in the living room to the two large windows in the kitchen.

 

  
I used Nate's existing desk but added a new chair that coordinated with the bar stools. I definitely wish I had a before photo of the chair that he used to have... :) I framed another antique map which did two things for this room: 1) carried the look from the living/dining room through to this study area, and 2) created a perfect focal point above the desk that filled the wall area exactly. I staged the desk a small accent lamp and another stack of old books from a thrift store.

 
In the study area we added two leather club chairs that we found for a great price on overstock.com. The color and feel of the chairs are perfect. They are masculine and comfortable with great lines. I found a gem of a side table at a discount store. I need a detailed shot of it, but trust me, it's amazing. It has an industrial, vintage feel and is wonderfully unique which is a nice quality to find when you are decorating on a budget because at times your space can easily become too matchy-matchy. We also added a dark espresso area rug, inexpensive coffee table, a throw (to soften the chairs a bit) and an accent lamp (it's all about the lighting.)

 
On the wall we framed and hung more antique maps. Again, the wall was large and in order to create a focal point and to fill that space for relatively no money, this was a perfect solution that turned out amazing. Nate had an old calendar featuring beautiful maps that we simply had matted and framed. We used a total of 9 and later he added two larger ones on either side of the collection for an even bigger impact.

This space turned out really great. I could definitely see myself spending many a morning in those chairs drinking my coffee and reading my Bible. 

On the same level as the living/dining room and the kitchen/study area is a guest bathroom.

Welcome to:
{The Guest Bathroom}

In the tiny space I wanted to add a bit of color, so I painted the walls a beautiful gray (Granite Boulder from Behr) and added hand towels in a darker slate gray with a dark red one as well. I think art even in the tiniest and seemingly unimportant of spaces is vital. So I found this beautiful painting on at a discount home store thought it was perfect. It has a vintage beach feel while not being overly beachy. I added stainless steel accessories by the pedestal sink and a really yummy smelling candle (a necessity in a house of men. :))


A friend once told me that guest baths are like throw pillows, an accent to the rest of the living space.
Best advice ever on decorating bathrooms. 
What do you think? How do you decorate your bathrooms?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...